Some transports are so specialized, that Van Rooijen Logistiek performs them as 'dedicated' transports. For a number of clients we are continuously transporting radioactive goods.
(24 hours p.d. - 7 days p.w. - 365 days p.y.)
In order to organize this transport correctly, we employ a transport safety consultant.
Radioactive goods are products with a short storage life, therefore requiring a quick circulation.
Radioactivity is created by instable isotopes.
(E.g.: iodine, krypton, fluor and technetium)
These radioactive goods are used for medical purposes, such as:
- identifying Parkinson's disease
- analyzing the function of the thyroid gland
- radiotherapy (fight against cancer)
The loading and unloading locations are:
- hospitals in the Netherlands
- other transporters and airports in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany
Procedures have been drawn up for each location.
Specially equipped vehicles are used. We offer the following possibilities:
- package transport: special drawers were made for this in the trucks in relation to stowage
- pallet transport
- conditioned transport
When hired, drivers must submit a Certificate of Good Conduct.
Each year, they will receive the following trainings:
- introductory course (radiation and road transport)
- Security Awareness (air freight and terrorism)
Because of the legal regulations for radioactive road transport, drivers take the ADR basis + class 7 course every five years.
The drivers also have an ACN pass (quicker processing at Schiphol Airport).
For certain activities, we are working with different organizations:
- EITA Because of this radioactive transport, we are member of the EITA. EITA is a European non-profit organisation officially created in 1998 by trained and licensed road and air transporters and logistics providers, specialized in the transportation of radioactive isotopes, mainly used for medical purpose and / or research.
- NRG All drivers have a personal batch, provided by NRG. It will measure the cumulative amount of radiation per period. We receive a periodical overview.
- Controlatom They perform an annual physical inspection on our fleet.